Ian Murphy1981-01-01 00:00:00 UTC

According to many sources, Murphy broke into AT&Ts computers in 1981 and changed the internal clocks that metered billing rates allowing people to get the late-night discount rates when they called at midday, and left late-night callers to pay the full daytime rates. In the 1980s, Murphy and several friends ordered five Texas Instrument 787 terminals worth $3,800 each, a $13,000 Hewlett Packard minicomputer and other odds and ends in the names of fake corporations. All together they stole over $100,000 in goods and $212,000 in services. and is credited as the real-life source for the movie "Sneakers

Kevin Mitnick1981-01-01 00:00:00 UTC

Kevins first known break-in occurred over Memorial Day weekend in 1981, when Kevin and two friends decided to physically enter Pacific Bells COSMOS phone center in downtown Los Angeles. COSMOS, or Computer System for Mainframe Operations, was a database used by many of the nations phone companies for controlling the phone systems basic recordkeeping functions. The group talked their way past a security guard and ultimately found the room where the COSMOS system was located. Once inside they took lists of computer passwords, including the combinations to the door locks at nine Pacific Bell central offices and a series of operating manuals for the COSMOS system.. To facilitate later social engineering they planted their pseudonyms and phone numbers in a rolodex sitting on one of the desks in the room. With a flourish one of the fake names they used was "John Draper," who was an actual computer programmer also known as the legendary phone phreak, Captain Crunch, the phone numbers were actually misrouted numbers that would ring at a coffee shop pay phone in Van Nuys. The crime was far from perfect, however. A telephone company manager soon discovered the phony numbers and reported them to the local police, who started an investigation. The case was actually solved when a jilted girlfriend of one of the gang went to the police, and Kevin and his friends were soon arrested. The group was charged with destroying data over a computer network and with stealing operators manuals from the telephone company. Kevin, 17 years old at the time, was relatively lucky, and was sentenced to spend only three months in the Los Angeles Juvenile Detention Center, followed by a years probation.